Tuesday 21 December 2010

The Town of Bethlemazoo....



ALISDAIR - "THE GROCER"
The imaginary Town of "Bethlemazoo" was created at the Manitou Evangelical Free Church in Neilburg on Sunday evening, December 19.  The children all wore masks and colourful hats and the entire program was in rhyme, in the style of Dr. Seuss.  The original Christmas pageant was written by Carol and Amy Graham (a mother and daughter duo).  Alisdair and Isobel were both involved in the concert but I didn't know anything about what was going to happen - just when to drop them off and pick them up from play practice.  So, imagine my surprise when I discovered Alisdair was the Grocer of Bethlemazoo and he had a speaking part!

Since the children were wearing the masks and hats, it was hard to tell who was who... I could only tell who Alisdair and Isobel were because I knew what clothes they were wearing!  John and I were near the back when - all of a sudden - Alisdair's voice came over the microphone!

"Where in the world is that wheel of cheese?
And look who is coming, those busy bodies!

What do you two want?  Can't you see I'm working?
I am stocking my shelves.  I've no time for shirking!"

were his lines...

In the drama, the "Prince" (Jesus) was coming to Bethlemazoo and the storyline centered around the various townspeople and their reactions to his visit.

After the program concluded, the entertainment moved from the church sanctuary to the Christian Education Wing where goodies were served and people were given time to visit with one another.  It was the fourth Christmas event in which the children had participated.  This pageant was refreshingly different, however, and our brief visit to Bethlemazoo will be remembered for years to come. 

ISOBEL - A Townsperson in Bethlemazoo

No comments:

Post a Comment