Friday 12 November 2010

ARTWORK - Isobel's Remembrance Day Legion Poster Contest Entry

After the Remembrance Day service at the Neilburg Community Hall, Isobel grabbed my hand and told me  she had a picture on display on the tables that lined the edge of the room.  I admit, I was a bit skeptical as I knew the prize categories only began with Grades 1 to 3.  Could she REALLY have a picture there?  Or was this wishful thinking?

"Show me your picture," I said.  I didn't have to ask twice!  "Okay," Isobel replied excitedly, steering me to the far corner.  "It's that one," she said, pointing to one with lots of colour on it.  Nearby were other pictures that looked more like pencil scribbles than actual drawings.  I picked up the drawing with the green grass and checked the backside.  Sure enough... Isobel's full name and class details were recorded on it!

Lest We Forget
Later, when we got home, I asked Isobel to explain what her picture was all about.  This is what she told me:  "This picture is all about the world and community. Every day is a great day in this picture.  The grass is green and the crosses are out to show we love the soldiers, and to mark where some other soldiers are, and where they died.  There is a tree and a big sun. There are clouds and a bird in the sky."

It pleases me to think my 5-year old is beginning to understand what Remembrance Day is all about.  Lest we forget....


 

2 comments: