Monday 28 February 2011

Encouragement ~ An Apple For The Teacher....

Photo ~ communities.canada.com
Sorting through a stack of papers today, I came across a little rectangle of bright red paper with a four line poem printed on it.  When I saw it, I remembered the encouragement the words had been to me, back at the beginning of the school year.

Written on the paper, in extra large letters were these words:

An Apple for the teacher
Is really nothing new
Except when you remember
Parents are teachers too!

To complete the theme, the slip of paper was inside a plastic sandwich baggie, with (of course) a big red apple!  Ms. Weekes, Isobel's Kindergarten teacher (who has recently become Mrs. Winsor!), kindly gave one of these to each parent of her new students.

I was especially touched because, although I realized that the words were true for everyone (and each of our youngsters had developed and learned many things since birth), ~ they were even more appropriate for me.  I was taking on the role as Alisdair's full-time teacher and, at the time, I didn't fully comprehend the magnitude of that responsibility!

Although the paper can be put into the recycling box, the vital encouragement it gave will remain with me in the days and weeks to come.

Perhaps you know a homeschooling Mum that might need a boost.  Maybe this poem and a crunchy apple is just the encouragement the Doctor ordered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment