Wednesday 6 April 2011

PRAYER ~ "Jesus, Tender Shepherd, Hear Me . . ."


I've been teaching Alisdair and Isobel a bedtime prayer I remember from my own childhood. My brother, sister, and I, used to say it in unison. We only said the first verse, so I was quite surprised to learn there were two more stanzas.

Jesus, Tender Shepherd, Hear Me . . .
Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me:
Bless Thy little child to-night;
Through the darkness be Thou near me,
Keep me safe till morning light.

All this day Thy hand has led me,
And I thank Thee for Thy care;
Thou hast warmed me, clothed me, fed me;
Listen to my evening prayer.

May my sins be all forgiven;
Bless the friends I love so well;
Take me, Lord, at last to heaven.
Happy there with Thee to dwell.

Amen.

Both my little "lambs" are sleeping and I am sure our "Tender Shepherd" is blessing them, even as they slumber. Tomorrow is another exciting day . . .

3 comments:

  1. I have said this ever since I can remember. This prayer stays so close to my heart. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never taught as a child to pray
    I was never taught as of child of God
    But God never forgot me even when I did not know and love him. This is a beautiful prayer.
    I am now a child of God waiting for my room in his house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have always said it since I was little. But we started it with
    'There are 4 corners to my bed
    There are 4 angels around my head
    Matthew Mark Luke and John
    Bless this bed that I lay on
    Jesus tender shepherd hear me
    Guard this little lamb tonight
    Through the darkness
    Be Thou near me
    Keep me safe til morning light.

    ReplyDelete